Monday, July 6, 2009

June 30, 2009

Wow. I don't know where to even start. We arrived to Ft. Benning 30th Adjuvtant (sic) General Battalion ( Reception) last night at 2100. I was basically kicked in the balls from the beginning. All they do is yell and give you 10 step directions all at once, as fast as they can, and then jump your ass when you are confused. We were issued PT uniforms, duffel bags, and some of our gear. By the time that was all done, it was 01:00. We went to bed on the world's most uncomfortable beds, and had wake up at 0430. We rushed down stairs after I did a dry shave to conserve time. and we stood in formation for an hour. Apparently when standing at ease, we aren't supposed to lock our legs, but rather keep them slightly bent. The reason for this, because when you lock your legs out, it cuts off the circulation and makes you lose conciousness and pass out. We had a few people pass out in formation this morning- obviously I laughed. Also during chow they give us two types of juice, and make us drink it all! This has led some of us to believe that we are drinking stuff that keeps your from getting a Woody, but who knows.

My first day was about what I expected: Long, Stressful, and tiring. Most of us are scared to death to talk, including myself. I find the less I say, the better off I am. It's 0710 and we are all sitting being quiet, and waiting to get our haircuts and issued our ACU's. I know we are all excited to get those. (Dad, your going to love our PT uniforms.) We sort of picked our temporary battle buddies last night, and I got paired up with this guy named Green. He's pretty legit, and currently the only person I care to speak to. We were given these camel backs last night which holds about a half a gallon of water which we carry on our backs 24/7. It's gross. A drill Sergeant over heard me saying that I was going to fill mine with milk, as a result I got a death stare which lasted about 5 ackward seconds. That ended my joking for the day. All in all it's been decent so far. I would hope so considering this is supposed to be cake compared to BCT. That will start in about four days from now, I think.

On a side note, I am terribly upset and saddened by the loss of one of my hero's and one of America's finest Icons: Billy Mays. I haven't heard much about the situation , but I overheard some Drill Sergeants joking about it and I had to do all I could to keep from laughing. So, my one request is that someone write me with some infor on Billy Mayes. I know my mother is deeply saddened by this, she was a big fan. Alright, I'm going to take a break, more later.

We just got our heads shaved. I look like Edward Norton from the movie "American History X". Especially with all of my tattoos. I feel like a skin head. I'm in a good mood oddly. I'm ready to get started with Basic training already. I just want to warn you that this letter is going to be long/longer than usual (maybe) but a lot is going on currently and we are just sitting down on the benches, so tho keep from extreme boredom i'm going to write, it's actually putting me in a good mood. Going to take a break again. Drill Sergeants are takin gus to get more uniforms now.

It is now 1316 and we have been standing ourside in the sun for hours at parade rest. I am sick of standing! My ankles are swollen, FML! Oh well, Just a little while longer and I'm all done for the day.
PFC Zaleuke

Moving on: I am so beat down already and it is only the first day of reception! We have had to stand in formation today for hours (literally). I have so much issued supplies to keep control of such as:
13 pairs of socks (green, white, black)
7 pairs underwear
7 shirts
4 PT shirts
4 PT shorts
1 PT jacket
4 PT wind breaker
4 issues of ACU's
2 pairs boots
extra running shoes
1 ACU winter jacket
1 ACU belt
2 ACU hats
The list continues on and on. We were issued one military duffel bag, similar the the one dad used for hunting, except mine is olive green. Also I have a big laundry bag. But with all of our stuff, I don't know how I will fit it all in. I haven't slept in well over two days, and I found out I have fire guard duty tonight from 12:00 am to 1:00 am. Lights are out at 9 and we have to wake up at 3 am, so it will be another full night of little sleep. Thankfully the drill sergeants have been fairly nice, but we are constantly being told to shut the fuck up by civilian employees and they are generally abusive, but apparently it's not going to be anything compared to the Drill Sergeants during BCT. We are scheduled to ship down range on Friday, so that will technically be considered day 1 for us. (You should see how I look. I am wearing my dogtags, head shaved, sitting on my bead comparing tattoo's with all of the other guys.) We have 2 1/2 to 3 weeks of "Red Phase" AKA: "Fuck me in the ass until I bleed phase." Once that is over, It should be smooth sailing . I dont talk very much, so I haven't been singled out yet... except only to help out the drill sergeants.

PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment