Saturday, July 11, 2009

July 8, 2009

Today was a pretty good day. We woke up, did some PT (physical training,)then ran back upstairs to change into our ACU's, for a road march with our weapons. Two miles down, two miles back. It feels good to accomplish something like that and still want more afterwards. When we got back, we sat down on the ground and ate MRE's for chow, and mine was damn good; ( I love chow).

We got changed back into our PT's-wait, let me back up. We road marched to a place on base and had a few classes on how to talk and communicate on a military radio.. I actually liked it a lot. Anyways- after chow we spent a few hours on the PT field standing in formation, and learning how to march properly for drill and ceremony. Then after a few hours went by doing all of that, and getting smoked in between, we went to dinner chow. After that we came back to the barracks where I am now and I'm writing this letter. I'm exhausted right now, but I felt good at the time. Oh, good news! I got my BGC's today as well (birth control glasses) and they look so legit. I actually like them and plan on wearing them out often when this shit is over with .Ha-Ha! Speaking of shit, listen to this: Apparently it is wrong to thank your Drill Sergeant. I was raised to be polite and say my thank you's, no thank you's, yes sirs and yes ma-am's etc, but I can't stop saying thank you to my drill sergeants. I must have done it over a half or dozen times today. Usually I will get the response: " Don't thank me Mother Fucker, thank your recruiter!! " What ever that means. But finally Drill Sergeant "P" got fed up and made me do 100 push ups, but I don't mind, it was actually pretty funny.

I don't know why I'm not exactly sure what is planned for tomorrow, but I do know I will have the chance to do some laundry for the first time since I've been here, so that will be really nice. I do know that we have the gas chamber on Saturday, and I'm pretty excited for it. I mailed off some papers to my dad today concerning my graduation, which includes details and directions. He will scan them and email them to the family. I'm staying strong and motivated still, and everyday I get closer to the guys here. They are all pretty cool.

I have one request from my family. If you don't mind, could you send me some baby powder (for obvious reasons). They don't sell it at the PX and I am running low, and also a bible. Yes, a bible. I've been praying a lot lately asking for strength to get me through this, and it really is the single hardest thing I've ever had to do, mentally more so than physically. (Note from Dad. I have a package on its way to Mike with a Soldiers Bible, Baby Powder, Deodorant, and writing tablet. he should have it on Monday)

I'm really looking forward to a nice cold shower and curling up in my bed and getting some sleep. Tomorrow is another day, and the fight continues. By the way, Dad if you were wondering, yes, we do sing cadences when we march. One is part of the Army song. Another is, "1,2,3,4: Shoot, move, communicate, kill! 1,2,3,4: Squat, aim, breath, squeeze! "It's pretty brutal, but pretty cool at the same time.

Also, funny story: Last night, Drill Sergeant "K" was telling us a story about his days in Iraq and how he shot and killed a 10 year kid. He then asked if anyone in the room could kill a 10 year kid right here, right now. Just walk up and shoot. Expecting others to reply, I immediately responded with, " Absolutely!" then there was that awkward pause with everyone looking at me. Drill Sergeant "K" said to everyone else as he pointed to me, "Now that's a man right there." I looked around at everyone else with that typical, "Damn Right" smirk I do. Ha-Ha!

On another note, a kid in my platoon from Cali with two kids is trying to figure out a way to get out of the Army, to go back home. He has been crying himself to sleep every night, and I feel bad for him. I've heard his plans, from hitting a drill sergeant, all the way to breaking his own arm. All of which are bad ideas. I've been trying to talk him out of it all day, but I don't know how much longer he will last here. It really is pretty bad here, LOL, It is no cake walk by any means. It is incredibly stressful, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'm good at taking my mind out of the situation and placing it somewhere else. I sing songs in my head constantly here, and I talk to my grandmother and God quite often, and all of that is enough to get me by. I'm looking forward to hearing from family soon, though. I miss you guys! But for now it's time for a shower and bed. Night Guys!

PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment