Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 9, 2009

Today has been a weird, long, tiring day for all of us in Delta Company 4th Platoon, and for me especially. I have been feeling somewhat sick for the past few days, but this morning I woke up feeling like shit! Stuffy nose, headache, cough, just nasty. But I refuse to show any signs of weakness by going to sick call. I have had to work through worse things before, and I can do this .



Today started out rough because during PT, one of our guys decided to back talk our Drill Sergeant. Not a good idea! He tore his ass up, and we had to join and get smoked for about 15 minutes. That put the Drill Sergeants in a bad mood. By the way, Delta Company 4th Platoon has three Drill Sergeant's. DS "K" DS "P" and DS "M" I won't say their real names because of obvious reasons. But all of them have their cool sides. DS "P" is the oldest and coolest, while DS "K" is only 29 and thinks he has something to prove, in my opinion. But he also connects with us and some nights we will sit around the bay and listen to him talk and tell about Iraq, and it's pretty cool.



After morning PT, we had to dress in our ACU's and kevlar along with our rifles and march 2 miles (again) to an obstacle course. The first one we did was a pain in the ass. The entire course was about 2 and a half football fields long, with lots of challenges along the way. The rope climb and monkey bars were really difficult only because we had been doing pull ups all morning for PT, not to mention the shit ton of push ups, we had to do during getting smoked. Our muscles were almost spent. But the absolute worst part was having to lay down in the rows of flooded ditches and low crawl under barbed wire for 50 feet or so. We were completely soaking wet and immediately after had to crab walk, bear crawl, and low crawl through sand. I finished the course but me and the 200 + other guys were nasty as hell. Sand everywhere, and wet. Baking in the hot Georgia Sun. It was a pretty miserable. LOL.



After that, we got to eat lunch, and I some how managed to get the damn vegetarian MRE, and nobody would trade with me. The bright side was that it came with M & M's. Candy is like gold around here, since we don't get it. ( Please don't send any candy or food either.) It can get me in serious trouble.



After lunch we had to go across the street to the really fun obstacles, like the ones you see in the Army BCT videos or on You Tube. We got to do ONE of them, and while we were on another obstacle, a did from another platoon fell from the 35 foot drop and jacked himself up in the process. Army procedure requires us to stop all training when someone gets seriously injured. So apparently we are going to reschedule for another time. That's about how my day went.



We marched the two miles back and got cleaned up. We had to go sit and listen to the Command Sergeant Major speak with us, which is a pretty big deal. The Drill Sergeants are really serious about our conduct when their superiors are talking to us. We will get seriously smoked if we fall asleep. So... My damn battle buddy gets called out by the command Sergeant Major for sleeping. The Drill Sergeants told him to stand his ass up and get to the back of the auditorium. Then I hear, "Bring your battle buddy too!". I was like, "Oh son of a bitch!" So he and I had to do an uncountable amount of push ups in the back of the room while this guy lectured us. I was pretty pissed off at my battle buddy. He seems to screw up a lot and he is starting to get me in trouble now, when all I want to do is stay low key and out of the way, and not draw any unnecessary attention my way. Oh well, they knew it wasn't me, but I need to really get this kids ass in line before he gets me in anymore shit.



Tonight has been good. I'm doing laundry now and we have a good amount of free time which is nice. This means I'm writing this letter without fearing getting caught and smoked by our Drill Sergeants. One of the kids who bunks next to me, went to sick call this morning. So he had some advil which I got him to give me some, so my headache is gone for now, and I'm looking forward to getting a good nights sleep. I don't have fire guard tonight, luckily. So I'll get a full six or seven hours. I'm writing this letter now, next to this did who I seem to really get along with, named Thomas. That was random, but I just thought I'd throw that out there- he's pretty cool (used to be a football player).



As for tomorrow, who knows. I'm starting to realize anything is a possibility now. I just hope we don't march for miles and miles again. It's so damn hot and that 10b weapon feels 60 lbs after a few miles. A few kids are slowly starting to break and that one kid I mentioned earlier who was really home sick is now on "Suicide watch". I'm not sure of the exact details but he wears a bracelet that lets everyone know to keep an eye on him.



I hate to end this letter but I'm exhausted and it's about time for lights out. So I'm going to hit the sack. I love and miss you all!



PFC Zaleuke

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing this letter now, next to this did who I seem to really get along with, named Thomas. That was random, but I just thought I'd throw that out there- he's pretty cool (used to be a football player).

    I don't know y'all, but I "googled" my son's address and this blog came up. I think the kid Thomas (last name) that Mike is talking about is my son. He is not much on writing letters so the ones we have are short but sweet. So I am getting a lot out of the information. Just makes a momma happy to get any information, even more when it is good!!

    ReplyDelete