Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 6 th, 2009

Today has been a pretty good day for me so far We woke up around 04:30 and had to do our first PT test. It wasn't a full PT test however. Just one minute of sit ups, one minute of push ups and a one mile run. I did very well today actually. I did 42 push ups ( the most in my platoon,) 31 sit ups and ran my mile in 7:10 seconds. I was surprised at how easy it all was, and I have my dad to thank for that. He pushed me to workout and run as much as possible, and it all really paid off! I am in a pretty good mood because of it too.

After wards we were given a 5 min. breakfast and then we walked a mile and a half...excuse me we MARCHED, not walked, to some supply building here on base. We were then issued a shit load of gear, almost $3,500 dollars worth that I am responsible for. We had to sign for it and then put it ALL on. This included 40 lb bullet proof vest and ruck sack, and a shit load of other gear. We had to march back to the barracks with it all rush it upstairs then sit down for lunch.

Right now we have an hour to clean the bay and I already did my part. I make beds and help others do theirs. I'm a pro at folding and making beds military style. So I'm currently hiding near my wall locker acting like I'm arranging stuff, and I'm writing this letter. We are supposed to have a class in a little while or something, but I don't know what.

Things here are okay, but I've gotten myself smoked a few times already for cracking jokes. Today while all 60 of us were marching I took it upon myself to start singing, "There she goes just a walkin down the street singin do ah diddy diddy dum diddy do!" I got about 3/4 of the platoon to join in on the chorus, so it was well worth it. I'd always wanted to to that after I saw Bill Murray do it in that one movie he did when he was in the Army. My drill Sergeants hand a cow and make me do 100 push ups when we arrived, but I know they found it funny because I heard them talking about it with other drill sergeants. I try to joke around as much as possible, in my time away from the drill sergeants, because if I don't, I will go crazy. They treat us like complete shit and they are really mean. I'm starting to get tired of being talked down to 24/7 and treated like a piece of shit. For the most part, I just let it slide off my back and ignore it. A few of the guys had their lockers tossed today and they were messy, so now they have to pack everything they own into their duffel bag and carry it around with them everywhere they go for an entire week. It is safe to say that my locker is perfect. I don't want to have to carry around that shit. I found out that I will have a family day in about 7 weeks or so. I am really looking forward to it. During that time period I am not authorized to change out of my military uniform, and into civilian clothing . I will have 36 hours off of base and will have to wear my class A uniform, and when I'm sleeping I have to wear my PT uniform. Oh well, at least I get to see some family!

Speaking of PT uniform, I have almost 70 bucks left on that cash advancement card that has to be spent or it goes bad. I'm going to buy my dad and official set of Army PT's so that he can wear them at his football practice. (he is a coach, not a player). But I think he will like them for sure.

My "Battle Buddy" is a complete dumb ass. He is an 18 ear old Mexican kid, and he reminds me of Gomer Pile from Full Medal Jacket. He is 100% clueless about almost everything and I have to teach him and show him everything step by step everyday. It gets annoying

My eyesight situation is also shitty. Since I have astigmatism in both eyes, my glasses (BCG'S) had to be sent off base to be made. I'm not authorized to wear my contact's, and all I have are these glasses from 7 th grade that are all scratched to hell. So I can barely see, and these army glasses can not get here soon enough.

For some of my friends who were joking with me about how I won't be able to shave my body as much as I usually do, thing again. I've found time, and it's not pleasant either. I've started getting used to dry shaving. It hurts, but it gets the job done and I don't look like a hairy monster.

The food here is pretty good, granted we only get 5 mins. or so to eat it, but it is by far my all time favorite part of the day, other than bedtime. I eat everything on my tray and have also started eating salad and broccoli, mainly because I have no choice.

Okay, I just got back from that meeting I was talking about earlier. It was about mail, so apparently we will now be allowed to receive letters and stuff now. After that meeting we had and hour and a half break until the Battalion commander, or what ever came to talk to us. Instead of letting us go arrange our shit, they decided to call us all to "Attention", for and hour and a half. Meanwhile they called us all out and made us do PT aka smoked us for the entire time, FML! Bed time, actual training tomorrow.

PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment