Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August 1st, 2009

Well today is my 22nd birthday, and I had a crazy day. Actually I had a crazy few days. In my last letter I wrote, I told you I was going out for a three day field training exercise. I have to say overall, it sucked. We took a bus there with our 70lb ruck sacks and set up on the range. We spent three solid days grouping and zeroing our weapons. I did mine in the first day with only 12 rounds. It took some people much longer. Since it is against policy to sleep on a range, we had to ruck a mile to and from the range. I can not stress to you how how it is here, so my ACU’s were soaked with sweat all day long. It also rained all day and most of the night which meant we had to sleep in the rain.

Funny thing about the infantry: We sleep in the places nobody else wants to sleep. We do it for the purpose that the enemy wouldn’t even want to walk through the shit to find us. SO- we had to sleep in 3 ft high grass and mud that was a swamp. You could imagine my delight!! Since I zeroed my weapon so early (since I am a bad ass) I had to sit around for two days wet and miserable. Awesome. We did go over a lot of tactical maneuvers out in the woods though which was pretty cool.

Friday night we returned to the bay and we had to repack our rucks for today’s journey. We woke up at 0430, got on a bus and went to a different firing range. Todays training was fun as hell. I got to burn off almost 150 rounds on pop up targets ranging from 75, 175, and 300 meters away. I dominated obviously. No, seriously through, I am really good with my weapon. I feel very confident when it comes time to qualify.

I got punched in the throat by some punk ass kid today because I didn’t want to take him to the restroom. I was about to go on range, and he wouldn’t accept no as an answer so he punched me in the throat… I stook there and said, “Really?” I smiled, and a few seconds later a drill sergeant came over and made the fucker get in the front leaning rest position and smoked the hell out of him. While he was down, I called him a pussy and the D.S. just smiled. Punched in the throat on my B-day..awesome.

Today’s temp reached 103 degrees in Ft. Benning. We had to ruck back. Holy Shit! Six miles, full battle rattle, 70lb ruck sack, limited water, it was God Awful. Out of 56 in our platoon, 27 made it the whole way. That is just in our platoon too, we marched our entire company of 220, and a lot fell out. I made it the entire way though…because I am a man. LOL! I’m exhausted, I have prickly heat on my back from not being able to shower these past few days, my feel look like rocks: All in all, Good day, good birthday. I feel accomplished and I am starting to gain motivation by watching others fail. I will not/can not fail. I refuse to accept defeat, I am a soldier now and we do not give up.

I’m going to bed now, Lol. I’m exhausted. I will write tomorrow about more stuff. By the way, I got a lot of everyone’s birthday cards and packages. Thank you everyone, seriously. You all found a way to make my birthday somewhat special while I’m at this horrid place. Thanks, I wont forget it. I love you guys, I’ll write about more stuff in detail tomorrow since its Sunday. Sleep well, I know I will tonight.

Talk Later-
-PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment