Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 17th, 2009

We here in Delta company, 4th platoon are drop dead exhausted right now. We had a rough day today which is expected after the past two days of us doing absolutely nothing. Well, let me start with what happened last night before I get into today’s events. I probably saw one of the craziest things Ive seen in a long time. The entire company (all four platoons) were assigned tasks to do in order to fully clean the common area. I was sweeping the floor, and I hear a loud metallic “Bang”!

It took me a second to realize what it was that I saw, and what it was that I heard, and then add the two together. One of the soldiers in another platoon, who happened to be on crutches, got pissed off at someone and snapped. He took one of his aluminum crutches and did a full tomahawk swing with it, thus bending it over the kids head (literally) and split that Mo-Fo’s head wide open. I was like, “Ohhhh!!...Nice!” but that was of course my first reaction, and we all know I really need to filter and or completely not speak until I’ve had a moment to gather my thoughts lol. I got some weird looks after that comment, but I played it off of course. Honestly though…how often do you see shit like that?! I enjoy shocking things. One of the older soldiers who was an ex-Marine/ex-SWAT took his ass down and restrained him until the MP’s came to arrest him. Very eventful. Oh yeah, the kid is okay, he got 8 staples in his head, and his gash was so rad, you could see his skull!

Moving on, lol. This morning we woke up at 0430 and cleaned our bay for a solid three hours because the new company commander was coming through to inspect bays. We ate chow, I had four glasses of chocolate milk by the way, and we headed to the busses to head out to the range. I have a new found love for hand grenades, they are everything that Sylvester Stallone makes them out to be in the movies. Lol, seriously though they are pretty cool. We had to throw a few practice grenades before they trusted us to throw real ones. It can be pretty scary holding a live grenade in your hand, and all of the practice I had playing Team Death match on Call of Duty 4 did not help me much. Lol, damn video games have really cheated me.

After we were finished we had to stand in formation for about 20 minutes in the pouring rain with full gear on. Then they surprised us with the fantastic news of having no busses to pick us up. So we had to walk the three miles back in the pouring rain. We are used to this by now, so it was not big deal, but there is always a catch to something that seems too easy. The kids on “profile” who are the kids who go to sick call and cant march or walk…yeah, we had to carry them. All of them. They just happened to be the fat guys and bigger guys I the platoon too. It was horrible lol, carrying their fat asses with all of their gear and weapons for three miles. Awesome!

You can imagine why we would be damn tired lol, plus we got smoked for about 30 mins when we got smoked for about 30 mins when we got back because we all took showers. I don’t care though, that shower felt damn good. Tomorrow will be an easier day I assume, we are only going back to that firing range that is a video game to learn how to kill people on the move. You can sugar coat it all you want, but that’s what it is. We are learning to kill people. What do you do at your job?

Lol, bed time. More later.
-PFC Zaleuke

2 comments:

  1. Haven't updated in a while. I'm actually going to talk to a recruit this Friday about joining Infantry. I'm 22. My cousin is 18 and is already headed to Basic next month for Infantry. Best of luck to you, really enjoyed reading your blogs. Wish me luck, the first days sound brutal! Btw, Favorite NFL team?

    P.S. Thank Google that I found you. Man, it's crazy some of the stuff you can find on google while trying to prepare for training. Reading up on everything and I come across this awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    Thank you for your comment. I am sorry I am only now getting around to responding but as you know i've been away for quite some time. To answer your question, I would have to say that my favorite NFL team would probably be the Colts. I myself was a quarterback all throughout high school and most of my life, and I always idolized Peyton Manning because of his incredible ability to understand the game. I would say I am more of a Peyton Manning fan rather than an actual Colts fan though. I just enjoy watching the man play.

    I am glad you stumbled across my blog and took the time to actually sit down and read it. I find that writing can be very therapeutic because through it you are able to vent and reflect on things much easier once they are put into words. I strongly suggest that you too keep some sort of journal throughout your time at basic training, it can only do good things for you. You can get all of your thoughts down on paper and just forget about them, and later on down the road you can look back and remember those times and think, "Yeah, that sucked, or yeah that was cool, I remember that etc."

    Good luck with everything.
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete