Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 14th, 2009

I am tired. I am really tired. Lol. My feet hurt, my toes all have calluses on them, my heels have them too from all of the blisters that have come and gone. I feel good though, almost accomplished. Today we had a six mile ruck march at 0430. Usually I am bitching and complaining the entire time (to myself. I wouldn’t dare complain to a Drill Sergeant) but this time I felt good. I had a good night sleep, so this six miles went by fast. We had out 70lb ruck sacks on (the weight will vary depending on the packing list they give us) an our IBA vests (40+ lbs), and they even let us ruck in our PT uniforms today. I looked like a lumberjack wearing PT shorts, a tucked in T-shirt, and combat boots with scrunched down green socks (Sexy, I know). We only have an 8 mile, a 10 mile, and 15 mile march left to do. That sounds bad, but its really not, they go by quickly.

Lol, oddly today when we hit the 3 mile point (we usually set our rucks down for about 10 mins and get in the prone position) they passed out fruit to everyone…I was like, “What the hell is this?” So when my Drill Sergeant came down the road and handed me an apple, I said, “Drill Sergeant, would you happen to have any kiwi or honey dew melon?” He just kept walking and said, “Zaleuke, it is way too early for me to be dealing with your shit!” Me: “Roger That.”

Yesterday and today we spent our day out in the field getting familiar with some bad ass weapons. I can now operate an AT-4 Rocket launcher, and also an M-203 grenade launcher. I got the chance to fire both of them, and it was so damn cool. The M-203 is an attachment that you can add to the M-16A2 and M4 rifles. We got to blow up some shit finally Lol. Monday we get to throw grenades and tomorrow we get to start learning about convoys and stuff. This is the time we are really going to start learning stuff that applies to my MOS.

I forgot to mention, we advanced to Blue Phase today! Last night we had to play some stupid games with Drill Sergeants, including a two mile run in ACU’s and boos (after we ate chow) so I threw it all up. As Ron Burgundy once said, “Milk was a bad choice!”. LOL, it wasn’t that bad though, it wasn’t like we were getting smoked but rather us getting recognized for reaching Blue phase. We are starting to be able to joke around more with the drill sergeants, we are getting called soldiers now instead of “cum dumpsters” Lol so that’s cool too. We all feel more like soldiers and very accomplished as well. Only three more weeks until we complete basic training and I’m so excited.

I got some mail yesterday from my sister, Sammy, and my father. My dad sent me a really cool letter and said some things that I think every kid needs to hear once in his or her life. Dad, that will be a letter I keep for the rest of my life. It meant a lot to me, thank you, you made me tear up infront of my buddies and also got me called a fag, LOL, but it was worth it.

A new company of recruits arrived today next to us in Charlie company and I saw them getting the piss smoked out of them. I wouldn’t go back to Day 1 for anything. I don’t know where that came from, but I just remembered that part. I’m running out of things to say now, but I’m sure more crazy and funny stories will be soon to come—they always do around here. So that is going to be it for tonight. I love you all, best wishes, and goodnight.

-PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment