Sunday, August 30, 2009

Aug. 26th, 2009

Today was a pretty cool, but intense day for us. We had some gnarly PT that was so darn tiring. We had like 8 different stations, which consisted of various exercises, most of them strenuous. After each station we would have to take one lap around the PT track, so all in all on top of the stations, we had to run a total of two miles. It was nothing major but it was a good work out. Afterwards we had to get on our full kit and backpack to a training course two miles away. We learned how to “bound” which is advancing on targets in pairs, hiding behind cover, and covering our partners. Tomorrow and Friday we will be doing it with live fire, so I hope I get a good partner because its dangerous if you don’t know what your doing. Afterwards we had to walk back two miles, not on the road though, through the woods. I found out that the terrain in Georgia is very different than Florida, lol. It was a long, hard, hike back but it was fun as hell. We walked along creeks, saw snakes…and frogs (which of course got tossed at me) and it was just fun as crap because it was different. By far the best part was the recon mission we did on the way back. We came up behind another company who was doing training. They had two weapons guards who were guarding their water buffalo (giant water tank on wheels that we drink from) and our mission was to steal water and not be noticed or create a disturbance. We pulled off the mission nicely, and we got a chance to apply some of the things we’ve learned so far. Our drill sergeant showed and explained to us how we could have eliminated a whole platoon on a battlefield by contaminating or taking away their water supply. I enjoyed the hands on learning experience very much.

Now, onto bigger things. Germany. It still has not hit me yet I don’t think. I am going to live there, not visit or “stop by” lol. I took two semesters of German at college and I’m sure once I am in country I will be able to pick it back up and speak it fluently. Or I could purchase the Michael Phelps edition of Rosetta Stone and see how that works out (Joking of course, but do you remember that commercial?) I am so damn excited to have the opportunity to do this, I am beside myself. I don’t know how it will work exactly but the bases in Germany deploy quite often and it will be likely that I will be deployed very soon. It could happen anywhere from one month to six months from when I arrive to my unit. Now lets say my unit is 4 months into their deployment. I’ll go and jump right in and finish it with them. A typical deployment is 12 to 15 months but could be as little as 6 months in some cases. Every solider is awarded a mid-tour leave in the middle of his or her deployment as well which is typically two weeks long to spend with family. The word on the street is that we will be headed to Afghanistan not Iraq, cool? So for now I’m thinking I may sell my truck depending on what my father things, and ship my motorcycle overseas or sell that as well and buy a new one while I am there. Reguardless though, I cant not have a motorcycle while I am there. So dad, don’t put anymore $$$ into my bike or truck for now, it might be pointless considering all things.

Its going to be horrible having to leave all of my family and friends behind, but I simply can not pass this up. I’ll have to miss out seeing my almost four year old niece grow up in some of her cutest years, I’ll have three less years to spend with my Golden Retriever and best friend who already Is seven years old. This being said, for those of you (friends and family) who want to visit, It will certainly be an experience for you. Tim and Daniel, the Germans make some great beer or “Bier” in Deutche. I bet Daniel (one of my best friends) is stoked about me getting to go, and also excited that he has no choice but to attend Oktoberfest with me at some point.

I received a few of your letters tonight, Tim’s especially because he forgot to put my roster number on my letter (453) which got me 150 push ups, thank a lot Asshole. But seriously don’t do that on purpose, they will mess you up for that. LOL. I saw who it was from and I was like “Dammit Tim….” The letters I am most excited about getting are people’s reactions to my situation now, especially my dad’s. I can’t wait to talk to him on the phone on Sunday too. But that’s enough rambling from me for one night. I’m leaving tomorrow to spend the night out in the field, but I’ll be back Friday evening and I will write again then.

Lots of love
-PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment