Friday, October 2, 2009

September 29th, 2009




I really am loving life right now. This is the first time I have been almost stress free since I’ve been here at Ft. Benning. Since we finished FTX, life has been pretty good for us. We are being treated fairly well, being called soldiers, and most of all relaxing. We have spent the last few days cleaning all of our TA-50 which is the fancy name for all of the issued gear we received. Everything needs to be spotless by the time we turn it all in on Thursday. So we have been working pretty hard to get it all done. Being that I am not a procrastinator, I finished all of my stuff including my weapon being spotless. Now, I am awarded the luxury of sitting on my ass and doing what I want. For example, my buddy Hays paid me 40 bucks to sit down in the laundry room and watch his stuff so that nobody stole it. Please and thank you!

Today I had to go to a few briefings that related to me going overseas. One of the briefings was on Anti-terrorism and how to keep ourselves safe despite not being stationed in a Hostile area such as Germany. Some of the stories that were told made me laugh because the guy made Germany out to be some third world country and also that almost everybody was out to kill me now that I am a soldier. Really? I mean, come on I understand being careful but just because I have a short haircut doesn’t automatically label me as a soldier in the eyes of civilians. I could be a soccer hooligan for example…lol. Afterwards we had a briefing about “trans” the cool military term that means transportation…anyways, more stupid questions were asked, some repeated numerous times, but it was all basically simple: Be where you need to be ready to fly on the date that is shown on your itinerary. Mine shows I leave the 26th to Frankfurt, Germany. Sweet. I also get to fly with some of my good friends too which is okay in my book.

Speaking of book, I am reading a great one currently. Yeah I actually have time to read, believe it or not! I went to the PX on Sunday and I was looking for some good reading material. Since we are only allowed to have military affiliated books, I was kind of limited. I grabbed a book that had big bright colored writing on it titled: “My War: Killing Time in Iraq” by Colby Buzzell. I briefly glanced at the cover and said, “What the hell?” and bought it. I started to read it and was really shocked. The book is about a guy who joins the army, goes to Iraq, and starts to blog to tell about his experiences. The weird thing is, this guy could be my twin brother. We are similar in almost every way when it comes to interests. We listen to the same virtually unknown punk bands, have similar tattoos, same sense of humor, both skate, etc… He even went to basic training here at Ft. Benning in the same battalion as me, only a few years ago. So, I have been completely submerged into this book, loving every minute of it. I would love to meet this guy one day. I mean, we both started a blog for the same reasons almost. Who knows, maybe I too could write a book some day.

We have a five mile run Friday, and other little things to take care of, but other than that I am taking it easy and waiting to get the Hell out of here. I got all new uniforms today too which is sweet. Also, don’t send me anymore mail, and its not to be mean or because I don’t want it, but because we are no longer receiving mail. Any mail that is sent to me will be automatically forwarded to Germany, so I wont get it for a while. That’s it for tonight!

-PFC Zaleuke


No comments:

Post a Comment