Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The 11th Hour

So this is going to be my very last post that I will be doing myself until my AIT training comes along and I'll have access to my computer to where i'll be able to write on here again myself. My father is going to be the person who will be doing all of the writing on my behalf when I'm away, so I'm interested to see how that goes. I have faith in him, and he seems pretty excited to do it for me, so that's good at least. Just to recap: While I'm away, I'm going to do my very best to write a letter home each day and send it home to my dad. He will then take my letters and translate them onto this blog as if it were me actually doing the writing. He's been instructed to write the letters word for word, so the writing style shouldn't differ very much.

  Well today was my last day here in Florida before I start making my way up north to where I will be shipping out. My dad and I will be leaving town tomorrow afternoon and will be driving all night until we get to Hazard Kentucky, where my grandfather lives. We will stay there Friday and most of Saturday and then head to Bowling Green Saturday night. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see some of my friends from school and say goodbye before I have to get up Sunday morning and head out, so I'm kind of looking forward to that if indeed it happens. 

 Today was kind of a sad day for me here at home as well. I'm fairly used to being away from my family since i've spent the past three years living up in Kentucky away from everyone, but i've been home for the past month or so and have gotten a chance to spend some much needed time with my family and one or two friends who I haven't had the chance to in a very long time. It's easy to forget the things you miss when you're away from them and don't have much time to think about it, but I cant tell you how much I've missed spending time with my Aunt's, Uncle, mother, father and step parents. I also cant tell you how much i've missed spending quality time with my dog Raleigh. Most of you know how close I am with Raleigh, but he and I really got a chance to bond all over again this past month and It's really going to be hard to say goodbye to him all over again. I got Raleigh when I turned 15 and he and I have been inseparable for the past seven years, and I consider him more of a brother and friend than I do a dog. I share everything with him from my bed all the way down to my dinner each night, and when you're that close to someone, person or animal, being away from them can certainly have an affect on you. When times are tough and when I'm feeling down, he is always there and just wants to be around me and that is almost always enough to make things alright again. That smiling face and wagging tail is always enough to make me laugh and put me in a good mood. It's certainly going to be difficult without him and he will be dearly missed. I got a chance to say goodbye to my family tonight as well, which was nice. We ate dinner at my grandmother's house who recently passed away a few months ago, and we got a chance to hang out one last time before I head off and it was really nice. I really wish my grandmother was still around because things just don't seem the same without her here anymore, I really missed her tonight. I know she would be really proud of me though, and that is enough for me. 

  I'm going to miss a few things while I'm away at Basic Training, one of those being music. I cant explain how much music is apart of my life considering I don't even play a musical instrument. There is always something about you're favorite song or band that picks you up and puts you in a good mood. I think I could definitely survive Basic Training without a problem if I was allowed the luxury of having my ipod. I've just been listening to as much of my favorite music as possible and storing those songs in my head, and when I close my eyes I can almost play them back perfectly and that will just have to do for now. Oddly, I'm also going to miss Florida. As much as I hated living, growing up here, I'm going to miss this place for sure. Being away from home makes you start to really appreciate things so much more once you are back. I had a chance to ride my motorcycle along the beach side once more tonight before I left and it was very peaceful. I stopped at Wabasso Beach and looked out from the boardwalk into the ocean and was reminded of some of the lyrics to the Rancid song "East Bay Night" written by Tim Armstrong.

"Well Earthquakes shake and fires take, from this view i've seen it all. I've tasted smoke as the hills burned, i've heard the freeway fall. When there's nothin' to say, just look into the bay. You know some things, they just feel right. Another East Bay night."

There is something about being home and seeing something beautiful that makes you smile and appreciate where it is that you come from. Even though I'm going to miss my home, my family and my dog, I cant stay here forever because there is still so much to be seen and done and I believe that is what makes you grow as a person. I'm very excited to be able to experience what I'm about to experience in the Army and I'm appreciative of the opportunity I have to do so. It will have it's highs and it's lows, but hopefully being able to travel and see the world, experience new things and new people will make for one wild ride. Right now, I'm going to finish packing up my things and spend my last remaining hours laying in bed with my dog, loving on him and watching some TV. To my friends and family who will be following this blog, I love all of you, and thank you for your support. I will miss all of you, but hopefully you will still be able to feel connected with me while I am away by reading this. I urge all of you to write me while I am away, I'm sure I will be wanting to hear from you as much as possible. My address will be posted here on my blog as soon as I get it, so don't be shy. Write or type me a  letter and slip it in the mail and I will either respond personally or through this blog. I feel as if I'm being sent away on a train to some concentration camp, lol, but this will be my only way to stay connected with you guys myself and to keep some of my sanity. I love you guys.

 

- PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment