Sunday, June 28, 2009

Corazon De Oro

Okay, I know I said that my previous blog was going to be my last blog before I left, but after tonight, I felt compelled to write one more. I wasn't expecting my trip up to Kentucky to be anything special, but it was actually nothing less than amazing. My dad really seemed to be looking forward to the drive up to Kentucky because he told me that it was going to be our "last road trip" together. Just that statement alone is enough to make you want to tear up, but I sure hope that it isn't our last road trip together. My father raised me single handedly from age 9 up until now, and I am so thankful for everything he has done for me and all of the sacrifices he has made for me. He is the reason I stand here today and the reason I am the man I am, and no words can express how grateful I am to have him in my life. The 14 hour drive up from Florida usually would have been a long trip, but for me it didn't seem long enough. I wish I had more time to spend with my father; more time to joke around and bullshit, and more time to talk about personal things. When he drops me off tomorrow, it is certainly going to be a hard goodbye to make, and I hope that he and I both can keep it together for both of our sakes. I want you to know dad that I am so proud of you and you mean the world to me. I know a father is supposed to be proud of his son, but this son is exceptionally proud of his father.
Today, June 28th was sort of a strange/exciting and emotional day for me. For the first time in my life, my grandfather found it hard to say goodbye to me. I have never seen that side of him before, and it made me seem him in a whole different perspective. I am extremely proud to be following in his footsteps by joining the United States Army, and I hope I make him proud. After we left his house today and drove to Bowling Green, my father and I did some last minute shopping and then checked into our hotel. I took a shower and then joined him at the hotel bar and had a drink with him. I may be looking too deeply into this, but there is something about having a drink with the "old man" that is special and makes you feel like a man. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Lol, my dad isn't much of a beer drinker, rather he is a "Jim Beam and 7-up" kind of guy. Personally I don't know how he drinks that shit, but what ever floats your boat I suppose. After our short lived drinking session, one of my friends Ashley came to pick me up and she took me to a local bar in town to meet some of my friends. I knew that some of my friends who were still in town over the summer (this is a college town) were coming to meet me to say their goodbyes and have a few drinks, but I was surprised at how many actually showed up. If you know me, you will know that I'm not much of a people person and I don't have too many friends, but after tonight I find myself second guessing that thought. A few of my friends drove as far as 2 hours away to have dinner with me, and that made me feel special. Ashley, Jon, Yancy, Kory, Nick, Sunny, Ryan, Daniel, Christina, Stephanie, Sammy and Emily all showed up and It made me feel important. Since I am a big Guinness drinker, my buddies all chose to drink what I was drinking, and they all seemed to force it down even though some didn't like the taste. After getting extremely sloshed, me in particular, we all went to Walmart so they could pick up some bathing suits so we could go back to my hotel and swim in the pool/hot tub. When everything was all said and done, we all said our goodbyes and parted ways. It was very hard to say goodbye to all of them and I didn't really get a chance to tell them how important they are in my life, mainly because I didn't know exactly how to put it into words. For those of you who are reading this, I want you to know that tonight was one of the best nights I have ever had and you all made me feel overwhelmingly important. I don't know when I will get a chance to see you all again, but you all will always be in my heart and will hopefully always stay apart of my life. I'm sorry for dragging this on, but it is just now starting to hit me. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for everything you have all done for me. You will not be forgotten. 
Right now, I'm laying in my hotel room watching some last minute tv, and attempting to enjoy one of my last full fledged "dips." I wont be getting a chance to chew tobacco again for quite a while, and surprisingly that is okay with me. I need to quit this shit anyways, so now is a good of time as ever. Tomorrow morning/afternoon my dad and I are going to meet my recruiter and he and I will drive down to the MEPS station and then get me checked into my hotel room for the evening. Am I getting nervous? You bet you ass I am. I am anxious, nervous, excited, and slightly scared and everything in between. It's hard to believe that after tomorrow I'll really be in the Army. It is all mind boggling at the moment, but I am so looking forward to the experience. I don't think I could possibly be more prepared than I am right now, and knowing that, I have some piece of mind. I know this particular blog isn't necessarily in relation to the Army, but I felt I needed to write about it and to let my friends and family know how much they mean to me. I understand that I'm only going away for a few months, but after that I'm not exactly sure where I will be heading or when I will get the opportunity to see them again. I hope it is sooner rather than later. Tomorrow is going to be the start of a new and well overdue life for me, and I hope it is everything that I wish it will be.  Thank you to all of those who care about me, I will never forget you or the love that you all showed me tonight. 

"And I know, I'm indestructible. And I know...I'm indestructible tonight." - Tim Armstrong

-PFC Zaleuke

No comments:

Post a Comment